Kodi is user-friendly but “not so simple to navigate through” kind of media player. However, since it is in the use of millions of users across the globe, it is only understandable that it would be simple in use. But in all reality, for many beginners, use of Kodi can be a bit overwhelming at the start. The main reason for this could be Kodi’s unique interface and it takes time to get used to it.
You do not require any technical expertise to understand the art of streaming movies and shows through Kodi. In fact, Kodi has been exclusively designed for any layman. But a little assistance in the initial use of Kodi can go miles in helping individuals understand it faster.
Many of our beloved readers have been leaving queries regarding a beginner’s guide to use Kodi. Hence we have compiled this article to take you through all the fundamentals of using Kodi. This article will cover all the details one needs to know before they begin streaming content online.
What exactly is Kodi?
A media player is essentially a piece of software that has the ability to play any media content. This content can be in form of an Audio, Video or Picture. However, media players like Kodi mostly play video and audio content. A simple example of this could be the famous VLC Player.
Kodi is a unique media player which plays entertainment content such as movies, TV shows and songs.
Even though Kodi is quite similar to the VLC player but there are some stark differences. The main one being that VLC plays the media content stored on the device while Kodi streams media using the internet.
It can rightly be said that Kodi is an online media player. It allows you to stream your favorite entertainment content over the internet. You can have an unlimited access to latest movies, episodes, news and songs. However, Kodi does need assistance from specialized plugins referred to as Kodi Addons.
Kodi Installation on Different Devices
Kodi is compatible with many device platforms. In future we will cover the detailed instructions for each of these devices. But this article will give you a general overview on Kodi installation on the device’s respective platforms. The following devices will be catered to in our Use Kodi Beginner’s Guide:
- Amazon FireStick
- Android Devices
- Windows Computers
- Mac OS Platform
- Android Smart TV & TV Boxes
1. Use Kodi on Amazon Firestick & Fire TV
FireStick is a famous Amazon device that connects to the HDMI port of your TV and converts it into a smart TV. an extremely popular media device that plugs into your TV through the HDMI port. The Firestick is pretty much similar to the Fire TV hence they share a common Kodi installation process.
However, the Amazon Store is not a Kodi host. So the users have to complete the manual download of the Kodi APK file to finish its installation on Firestick and Fire TV. For a detailed procedure, you can go through FirestickJailbreak.net’s detailed guide on how to install Kodi.
User can also take benefit from our Jailbreak Amazon FireStick Guide.
2. Use Kodi on Android Devices
You can use Kodi on Android device pretty easily. Kodi is not only well known but is a trusted entity by Google as well. On Android devices such as cellphones and tablets, there is no need to side-load the Kodi App or manually install it. In fact, you can locate the app for Kodi right in Google Play Store.
Now since we know only trusted entities make their way in the Google Play Store, you can be assured that Kodi is safe to download on your Android device.
- Access Google Play Store on your Android device,
- Search for the Kodi App,
- Do as you are prompted and complete Kodi Installation!
3. Use Kodi on Windows Computers
The procedure for installing Kodi on Windows 10 and Windows 8 or the older versions is not the same. The procedure for both versions are described below.
Use Kodi on Windows 10
- Tap on the search button ‘Cortana’ and enter Kodi,
- The icon for Kodi will pop-up in the results. Tap on this Kodi icon,
- You will then be directed to the Microsoft Store. Tap on ‘Get’ or ‘Download’,
- Now the rest will be taken care of by the Microsoft Store,
- It would take maximum 2 minutes to install Kodi on your Windows 10 Computer,
Use Kodi on Windows 8 & Older Versions
- Access the website and right on home-page, tap on Download button,
2. Keep scrolling through the list till you fund the logos of the devices which are compatible with Kodi,
3. Then Tap on the logo of Windows,
4. Then ensure that the Recommended tab is chosen in the proceeding window,
5. Finally tap on Installer, either 64 BIT or 32 BIT according to the PC you are using. Make sure you have selected the Recommended tab on the next window,
4. Use Kodi on Mac OS Platform
- Access this link https://kodi.tv/download from your Safari browser. Keep scrolling to tap on the logo of ‘MacOS’,
2. See that the tab of Recommended is chosen in the pop-up. Then tap on Installer (64 BIT),
3. Then follow the usual procedure to complete the Kodi installation on your Mac device.
5. Use Kodi on iOS Devices
- Access this link https://www.tweakboxapp.com using your Safari browser on your iOS device. Then tap on the Download button,
- See the on-screen prompts and finish installing TweakBox. You will be prompted to give permission for installing this third party app,
- Open the TweakBox and tap on Apps section. Search for Kodi in the apps list and tap on its icon,
- Keep following the instructions on the screen to successfully install Kodi,
6. Use Kodi on Android Smart TV & TV Boxes
- Switch on your television and if it is connected with the Android TV Box, ensure that your TV is connected to the box,
- Now when the home screen pops up, tap on Google Play Store,
- Search for the icon of the Kodi App,
- Simply do as you are prompted on the screen and you will have successfully installed Kodi in no time,
Use our Recommended VPN for Kodi
Prior to beginning the use of Kodi for streaming online content, we urge you to use a good VPN for Kodi.
In case you are not familiar, Kodi VPN safeguards your online streaming activities from governments and Internet Service Providers. In simple words, a VPN encrypts your server traffic and makes prying eyes unable to track your activities online. There are also many other reasons for using a VPN which you can read here.
As we have already mentioned above, to be able to watch TV shows and movies use of Kodi addons is a must. Many of these addons are provided by third-party apps. We are in no way encouraging any user to view copyrighted content through illegal means. However, at the same time, we strongly believe that every individual has a right to privacy even when it comes to entertainment. If you are wondering how a Kodi VPN operates then in simple words, it diverts your server traffic through a private server after encrypting your internet connection.
Consequently, any prying eyes peeking in your online activities will no more be able to do it. When it comes to recommended VPNs then in our opinion IPVanish can be rated as the best VPN for Kodi. It works fast and uses strong security measures. It makes use of the latest encryption technology to safeguard your online activity.
Kodi Addons to Use Kodi
We already told you that addons are the life and blood of using Kodi. No matter how much we emphasize the importance of Kodi Addons, it would always be an understatement.
Kodi’s unwavering success has relied upon the exclusivity of its addons. Even though Kodi is an exemplary media player but what makes it successful are its addons. And here is a list of best Kodi Addons you can look at to decide which ones are worth installing. This list will also give you an idea of what each of these addons has to offer.
Install Kodi Addons
The installation process for Kodi Addons involves 6 steps:
- First of all select the sort of content you wish to stream,
- Then select the addon which is streaming your preferred content,
- Now locate the source from where this addon can be installed,
- Then add this source to Kodi,
- Complete the installation of the repository from the selected source,
- You can then install your desired addon from this repository,
If this appears difficult to follow then do not worry. Initially, every new user who begins using Kodi finds this confusing. But with a little time and practice, you can easily get used to this and develop your desired Kodi Addon library in no time.
Use Kodi Addons to Stream Movies, Shows and TV…
When the addon is successfully installed, you can locate it easily in the section of Video Addons.
How to use the Kodi Video Addons?
Then tap on the Addons button,
Now towards the left side, tap on Video Addons. In fact, even if you do not tap on this option, simply hover your cursor over it and the video streaming library will appear towards the right.
See the image below to get an idea of how the video addon library would look.
How to use these Addons?
For example, in the image below Exodus Redux is selected.
Since Exodus Redux is high in demand. On the next screen, you will find its various categories.
When you tap on any of the categories, you will be either directly shown the titles or another sub-category will appear. When you click a category, you may either directly see the list of the titles or subcategories. It varies across addons.
For example, in Exodus Redux if you click on the ‘Movies’ category, it would direct you to its subcategories:
- Certificates, etc.
The purpose here is to keeping clicking your relevant sub-categories until you find the title list. Then tap on the title you wish to stream and watch. The addon will then get the streaming links for you.
Tap the link and begin watching your favorite show or movie.
Summing it up…
If you are a beginner in the world of Kodi then the above-explained guide pretty much covers everything you need to know. As we have already mentioned that Kodi even though is designed for a layman its new and unique user-interface needs learning. A little help from such beginner’s guides on how to use Kodi at the start can allow users to learn it much faster.