Losing sight of your remote when you are cozy in bed is the saddest end to the weekend night you had planned to spend at home watching movies. We all know you will prefer hitting bed early, instead of spending the night looking for it.
It could be under the pillow, curled up in the sheets or maybe under you, broken.
Remotes have always topped the list of things that are quite easy to lose. This was definitely one of my biggest fears when I bought Firestick: With kids around these things can easily end up in the washing machine for all you know.
This article rounds up some quick fixes for the Firestick Remote. In the other worst-case scenario: Either you have broken the remote beyond repair, or you have lost it (When your mom can’t find it, it is gone for good).
Try Fixing the Remote Before You Spend Some Extra Dollars
I would give 5 stars to Amazon’s Firestick Customer Service. When I initially had problems with remote service, they were quick to respond with a number of troubleshooting tips.
It is always a good practice to try some hacks before you go ahead with spending money to buy replacements.
The simplest thing to do in this case is to make sure that this is not a simple glitch in the system. Here is your legendary conventional hack: Unplug and Replug your Firestick device (preferably give it a 30 seconds/1 minute gap). This can sometime fix the problem of the remote not working.
Secondly, you can also try removing batteries and putting them back in after a couple of minutes. This might not sound like technical advice but there is no harm in giving it a try.
Some Last Tries Before We Talk About Replacements
Try Brand New Batteries
If both of the previous tips did not work, you can try investing in brand new batteries.
Every Firestick user would know that the remote sensors are REALLY good. They provide extremely fast navigation and in the process, drain the batteries down rather quickly (That is the cost that comes with the fantastic service!).
- Replug your Firestick device to turn it on.
- Stay at the Home-screen. Here, press the Home Button on the remote and hold it down for 20 seconds.
- A note will pop-up at the right-bottom screen ensuring that the remote has successfully paired.
- If the problem is not resolved, re-try at least 5 to 10 times before giving up (We wish you the best of luck!).
Try Factory-Resetting the Remote
Some users on Reddit have also confirmed that sometimes simply resetting the remote fixes the problem. After you have made sure that batteries are not the issue, you can give this alternative a try!
- On the remote, press the MENU + LEFT + BACK button together. Hold the buttons for about 10 seconds till you get the factor-reset pop-up.
- MENU: button with 3 lines drawn above each other.
- LEFT: left to the black circle on top of the remote.
- BACK: left to the HOME button on the remote.
Firestick Remote Replacements
Quick Alternative: Firestick Remote App
If you want to stick to a simple solution, we would recommend that you make use of the Remote App. It offers quick navigation. Moreover, you would have a keyboard at your disposal for quick text entry! Bye-bye to hunting for the right alphabets on the screen.
This application can be installed on iPhones, Androids and other gadgets like tablets, laptops or iPads. Just make sure that you are downloading it from a reliable source.
It is available on Google Play Store as well as on the Apple App store without any charges.
Make sure that you are using iOS 10.0 or later versions. The service is compatible with iPhone, iPod and iPad.
The application has been updated in December 2019 to the latest version (188.8.131.52-aosp). It requires 5.0 or later Androids to work.
3 Easy Steps To Install And Use The Remote App
- Use the links given above to download the app on your phone.
- After the download is complete, connect the phone to the same WiFi on which you are running the Firestick device. The application will detect the device in range automatically.
- Select the Firestick from the list of detected devices. A 4 digit code will appear on your device. Enter the code in the application on your phone and bam! You are connected and ready to go.
Reasons Why You Should Go For Remote Application on You Phone
- This alternative is not cheap. IT IS FREE!
- The mobile app provides quick navigation. You will be using an accessory that you are already quite familiar with.
- You can lose sight of the remote, but we almost always have the phones in our hands.
- The bonus comes free of cost: The Keyboard! Easy typing, easy life.
CetusPlay App is Also Compatible with Firestick!
CetusPlay App is a general remote application that is compatible with many devices. It works as a smooth alternative. It is also available for free on Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
Use the links given below to download the app from a reliable platform:
The application is compatible with iOS 8.0 and later versions on iPhone, iPod and iPad.
The application has been updated in March 2019 to version 184.108.40.206. It requires 4.0 or later Androids to work.
After the CetusPlay App has been downloaded, you can connect it with the Firestick device in the same way as described for the Remote App.
Why CetusPlay App might be better than Remote App
It comes equipped with Touch Pad mode, Direction Pad mode and mouse mode in addition to the typical Keyboard mode. You can access these options on the upper right corner of the application.
Besides this, it also offers an “Application Center” Tab. This makes it easier to scroll for and install popular apps like Kodi, Mobdro and many others.
Other Handy Replacements for Firestick Remote
If the original remote has given up on you and the application does not seem to be helpful either, don’t worry! It is not the end of the world for you.
There is a list of other navigational devices that are compatible with the Firestick.
Rii Wireless Keyboard
Stepping away from remote navigation, wireless keyboards are a great asset to have. Keyboards allow the use of many applications and features that are limited when making use of a remote.
Rii Wireless keyboard and related options (like Rii i8+ mini wireless keyboard) would enable you to install and work with many features that were out of reach before.
The keyboard carries a Li-ion rechargeabale battery. It offers touch pad to optimize the use of many apps that were not possible with Remote use. They are lightweight and versatile. In short, they are a Must-Have for Firestick users.
- Open the “Controllers and Bluetooth devices” from the Settings tabs.
- Click on the “Add Bluetooth Devices” from the “Other Bluetooth Devices” option available on the screen.
- Enable the pairing mode of your keyboard. The Stick’s Bluetooth tool will scan and connect to the keyboard.
- Test that all the Keyboard buttons are working properly.
iPazzPort Bluetooth Mini Wireless Keyboard
Available at: iPazzPort Bluetooth Mini Wireless
iPazzPort Bluetooth Mini Wireless Keyboard ($22.99) has been ranked as a good alternative by many users. It comes with rechargeable battery and 3 back light colors to choose from.
Fancy, No? For more details you can go through the product description from the link given above.
“I bought this for a TV that only has Fire TV Stick connected to it and it is almost perfect! “
iPazzPort USB Mini Wireless Keyboard
Available at: iPazzPort USB Mini Wireless Keyboard
This option is definitely cheaper than Bluetooth Keyboard ($19.99). However you would require an OTG cable for a working connection. The cable is available on amazon for just $6.
The Decision Is Up To YOU...
Whether you decide to go for Mobiles apps or wireless keyboards, all the alternatives would definitely make your Firestick experience more comfortable and easy.
Your final decision, however, should take into account a number of factors. First of all, make sure you are not investing too much into the replacement. There is no use of getting Firestick for $35, if you are going to spend the money you saved on extra accessories.
Also, look out for the extra feature that your replacement would be providing. Go with the navigational service that is easy to use and safer to keep!
Remember that you came to this article probably because you lost the remote or broke it. YOU don’t want the replacement to have the same issues!